Summer was made for salads, but you need a dish with a twist! My Asian broccoli slaw adds fresh mint for a unique twist on this traditional slaw.
Salads are so easy to make and one of my favorite side dishes because of their magnificent colors and flavors. A great salad bursts with personality, and the ability to prepare them in advance and serve cold makes dishes like my Asian broccoli slaw especially perfect for summer. I’ve even added an Italian twist to this recipe!
Besides great tastes and textures, salads and slaw offer amazing health benefits. Fresh vegetables are the cornerstone of my Asian broccoli slaw. I love to prepare food ahead of time so I can have a relaxing dinner with family and friends, and this is an ideal recipe for doing just that. Have it ready to serve, so you can enjoy a cocktail and conversation.
More BuzzChomp: Becoming Vegetarian was Inevitable
Lately I’ve been using fresh mint, because I love its taste and smell. Years ago when I was a beginning gardener, I planted a single mint plant in my garden. I didn’t understand how invasive mint is when left alone. Years later, it keeps trying to take over my garden. Each spring I weed out most of the mint, leaving just enough for my cooking needs. Using fresh mint is an homage to my Italian roots, adding a nice flavor twist to this slaw.
Asian Broccoli Slaw
Broccoli Slaw Ingredients:
- 12 oz package of broccoli slaw
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mint, chopped
Asian Dressing Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted, sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Place broccoli slaw in a large bowl. Add mint and scallions.
- Whisk all Asian Dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing over slaw mixture and toss well.
- Top with toasted almonds.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate up to three days.
More from the Chef:
GoodDinnerMrsMellen.com and GoodDinnerMrsMellen.blogspot.com
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.
Pingback: Classic Vegan White Cake is Easy for Every Occasion | BuzzChomp