This snowy white cake reminds me of glistening fresh winter snow, illuminated by the bright light of a full moon! My White Chocolate Cranberry Cake, one Christmas dessert that’s simply irresistible.
Not only is this cake a beautiful show stopper, it also tastes wonderful. I love the combination of tender white cake filled with a heavenly white chocolate ganache. Sugared cranberries finish this storybook cake to perfection, a glorious finish to any holiday meal or party!
Snowy Winter White Chocolate Cranberry Cake
Sugared Cranberries Ingredients:
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups cranberries
White Chocolate Icing Ingredients:
- 12 oz white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 8-9 cups powdered sugar
Preparation – Sugared Cranberries:
1. Bring 1 cup of sugar and water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Simmer until sugar is completely dissolved.
2. Pour simple syrup into a heatproof bowl and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
3. Add cranberries and stir to coat.
4. Refrigerate cranberries in syrup overnight, stirring a couple of times to coat with syrup.
5. Remove cranberries from syrup and roll in remaining 1/2 cup of sugar. You’ll need to roll them a few times to get a couple of layers of sugar on them.
6. Set cranberries aside to dry for one hour or so.
Preparation – Cake:
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 9″ round cake pans.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl beat the butter until smooth.
4. Gradually add the sugar to your butter and beat until fluffy.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and beat for 1 more minute. Add cranberries by hand.**
7. Divide the dough among the prepared pans. If you’re using a scale, put 1 1/2 pounds of batter in each pan.
8. Bake the cakes for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool in the pans for 15 minutes. Turn the cakes out of the pans and cool completely on a rack.
Preparation – White Chocolate Icing:
1. Place white chocolate chips in a metal bowl.
2. Microwave heavy cream until it starts to boil. Remove from microwave and pour over white chocolate chips.
3. Cover bowl with Saran wrap for 5-7 minutes.
4. Whisk chocolate and cream until smooth.
5. Allow ganache to sit until mostly cool. It should be thick.
6. Beat the ganache with a mixer for about 2-3 minutes, until smooth and fluffy.
7. Add butter and beat until it is fully combined.
8. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until it is fluffy and the right consistency. Add more cream if needed.
1. Remove cake domes from cakes with a large serrated knife, creating a flat top surface for each cake.
2. Place first layer of cake on cake plate. Spread icing on top in an even layer.
3. Add second layer of cake and add more icing on top in an even layer.
4. Add final layer of cake on top and ice the outside of the cake.
5. Top the cake with sugared cranberries and add some around the edge, if desired.
**Tip: Dust cranberries with flour before adding to the batter to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake layers.
Christmas Stripes Image via Wild Warehouse Craft Supplies