I’m on a vegan dessert kick. I really love the consistency of vegan cookies and they’re super easy to make! I’ve been craving pumpkin and these are vegan pumpkin cookies taste like cake!
My vegan pumpkin cookies are adapted from this recipe by Minimalist Baker. I love that her recipes are simple and do not require a lot of ingredients. What I changed is also simple; I did not roll my cookies in sugar at the end. I also did not refrigerate the dough and I added no icing to these bad boys. Less sugar and just as tasty! They taste like cake.
When I began making these cookies, I wasn’t feeling like having sugar cookies. I really just wanted a delicious pumpkin cookie and that’s truly what these are. I didn’t refrigerate the dough because I decided I wanted my cookies smaller but thicker. I didn’t use icing because I didn’t want to go into a sugar coma after eating them. I really only like icing on my Christmas cookies!
All that being said, these are cake-like vegan pumpkin cookies. They are perfect to make from now through the end of the year! I love pumpkin desserts and these bad boys will definitely be a repeat dessert.
Vegan Pumpkin Cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), softened*
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 Tbsp whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder (I used cornstarch)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Cream your softened butter in a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat for one more minute. Add pumpkin and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine your dry ingredients into a separate bowl. Mix your dry with your butter mixture using a wooden spoon. Be careful not to over mix. Then add almond milk and mix until soft dough forms.
- Scoop out dough into tablespoon sized balls and roll in your hands. Gently shape each ball into a little patty.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let rest on pan for a few minutes, then enjoy warm or refrigerate to keep fresh.
Trust me when I say that you’ll want to eat this whole tray of cookies! Do not. This recipe makes about 24 cookies. Personally I love smaller cookies, because I enjoy having just one cookie. Dan and I are the same in that manner. He loves the little cookies too, because we he just wants a little taste of that sweetness.
These cake-like Vegan Pumpkin Cookies are the best! Next time I might add a little extra nutmeg and cinnamon, because I love the earthiness that the cinnamon and pumpkin spice bring to desserts. I normally like to go heavier on those spices because I love them so much, and let’s face it, we only indulge in these style desserts from now until New Years!
Even if you’re not vegan, try your hand at these vegan pumpkin cookies. They taste like cake! My favorite part about vegan desserts is that they feel lighter and the flavors really pop. It reminds me of what homemade desserts should be, because normally we add too much sugar and junk to our food. Let’s keep it simple, light, and eat cake-like vegan pumpkin cookies!
Connect with our Writer
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Staff Writer, and Featured Vlogger at BuzzChomp. She’s an actress, writer, and producer. Get lost in her youtube comedy channel PillowTalk TV. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or Instagram
Vegan Pumpkin Cookies Photo Credits to: Yours Truly!
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.