Eggplant is a versatile vegetable, beckoning us to experiment. I was inspired to create this Baked Stuffed Eggplant recipe at my local farmer’s market, injecting brie and spices for a unique dish full of flavor.
Eggplant never ceases to inspire my cooking creativity. While visiting my local farmer’s market, I saw a beautiful array of eggplants glistening in the sun. I now needed a recipe that captured their beauty, so when I got home with my fresh eggplants I started thinking. This Baked Stuffed Eggplant recipe is the result, stuffed with a unique blend of garlic and brie.
The first decision I made for cooking my beautiful eggplants was to leave them whole and simply hollow out the center. I would use the meat as stuffing and the shell as a baking dish. My filler had to be something special. Brie and garlic would accompany La Casa de Grano Fregolo Sarda, a traditional Sardinian pasta that is toasted and readily available at Italian markets such as Eataly. I love the texture and resulting taste of marrying all of these flavors to create a delicious baked stuffed eggplant. The presentation is beautiful too.
Great recipes start with great equipment, and I highly recommend this KitchenAid Professional Stand Mixer. It comes in so many great colors!
Baked Stuffed Eggplant
- 1 eggplant
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup orzo or La Casa de Grano Fregolo Sarda, cooked
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 4 oz brie, rind removed and cubed
- Oil for drizzling
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh basil and thyme for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Gently remove the top of your eggplant and set aside.
- Cut out eggplant meat and cube. Place cubed eggplant in a bowl and add lemon juice and sea salt.
- Put olive oil in a saute pan and heat on medium. Add garlic and saute until slightly translucent, don’t brown. Then add cubed eggplant, basil, and thyme, cooking about 5 minutes until eggplant is soft.
- Add pine nuts, cooked pasta, and capers, then continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Put eggplant mixture into your hollowed out eggplant shell, layering with cubed brie.
- Place eggplant lid on top. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the filling starts to escape from the eggplant.
- Garnish with fresh basil and thyme. Serve at room temperature.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.