Spring has made an early arrival this year with beautiful warm days, and what better way to welcome the season than with a delicious Asparagus and Leek Quiche. My recipe is bursting with the flavors of spring!
Asparagus is now available all year-long, but personally I’ll always think of it as a springtime vegetable. Asparagus and spring go great together, and one of my favorite combinations is asparagus and leeks. To usher in the season I used both vegetables to make this rich Quiche full of feta cheese. It’s a wonderfully easy dish when made with a store-bought pie crust and still tastes so delicious!
I’ve included links to my favorite ingredients when possible, but feel free to use any brand you love. I also recommend this KitchenAid Professional Stand Mixer for a great cooking experience.
Springtime Asparagus and Leek Quiche
- 1 package (14.1 oz.) refrigerated piecrusts
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz.) salted butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks
- 1 bunch thinly sliced scallions
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (for cream mixture)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (for cream mixture)
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Unroll pie crusts and stack on a lightly floured surface. Roll stacked pie crusts into a 12-inch circle. Fit pie crust into a lightly greased tart pan, 10-inches deep, with a removable bottom. Press crust into fluted edges and trim off excess pie crust along edges. Line pie crust with aluminum foil or parchment paper and fill to rim with pie weights or dried beans. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 14 minutes. Remove weights and foil, then bake until golden brown, about 10 to 12 more minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Cool pie crust completely on baking sheet on a wire rack, about 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and scallions and cook until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Stir in asparagus. Then sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes.
3. In a medium-sized bowl whisk together cream, eggs, chives, parsley, nutmeg, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
4. Place half of leek mixture (about 1 cup) in tart shell. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup feta cheese. Spoon half of cream mixture (about 1 1/2 cups) over feta. Repeat layers once and sprinkle top with remaining 1/4 cup feta cheese.
5. Bake in preheated oven until set, about 1 hour. Cool on baking sheet on a wire rack for 20 minutes before serving.
Enjoy your Asparagus and Leek Quiche!
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.