- Motivational Monday – Soak in the Sun!Posted 21 hours ago
- 2015 NBA Finals Pre-preview: Warriors vs CavaliersPosted 21 hours ago
- Secret Agents Spy a Riddle – Pillow Talk comedy web series 15Posted 4 days ago
- Fitness Friday: Hydrate or DiePosted 4 days ago
- Pretty Little Liars ‘A’ Theories – Jason is Charles!Posted 4 days ago
- Game of Thrones: Major changes from books in “Unbroken”Posted 4 days ago
- The Ultimate Sports Debate hits DC sports fansPosted 4 days ago
- #TBT – Poltergeist is Scariest Horror Movie ever!Posted 5 days ago
Pour Some Sugar on Me–Def Leppard
Now and then I’ve been known to rant (just a bit) regarding the music I love, and some tracks I loathe! Today, it will be the latter.
If you grew up and were coming of age in the 1980’s (like me), this song is probably in still flowing through your veins. It was played to death! In fact, this song was wall-to-wall on radio, MTV, sporting events and backyard parties. The album, (Hysteria) was arguably the biggest of Def Leppards career both in sales and in actual exposure, it cemented Def Leppard’s legacy in the rock history books for all time.
Now enough pretense, here are my true feelings about this song!
WHAT THE HELL IS IT ALL ABOUT!?! I mean, just listen to these lyrics!
Love is like a bomb, baby, c’mon get it on
Livin’ like a lover with a radar phone
Lookin’ like a tramp, like a video vamp
Demolition woman, can I be your man?
Razzle ‘n’ a dazzle ‘n’ a flash a little light
Television lover, baby, go all night
Sometime, anytime, sugar me sweet
Little miss innocent sugar me, yeah
What!?! Now granted, the song does kick a*s and the production is stellar (thanks to John “Mutt” Lange) but the lyrics leave a lot to be desired. Joe Elliot is no Bernie Taupin I can tell you that! I mean here’s a bit more to chew on from the man with the golden pen…
You got the peaches, I got the cream
Sweet to taste, saccharine
‘Cause I’m hot, so hot, sticky sweet
From my head, my head to my feet
Do you take sugar, one lump or two?
That’s the line that gets me every time! What!?! One Lump or Two!?! Saccharine!?!
PA-LEASE! Stop already!
Now, I’m all for taking a little license with metaphors of sex to rock and roll, but this is just too much to take! I’m done. I can’t even contain myself any further to keep writing.
Postscript: Normally in my posts this would be where I suggest you pick up this record, or purchase this-or-that particular song. But today, I’m not sure what to do! You guys are on your own!