- July Survival Buyer’s Guide: An Ode to the Beach!Posted 13 hours ago
- 2015 NBA Free Agency: Major Power Shifts East and WestPosted 17 hours ago
- Pillow Talk Fireworks Encore Comedy Spectacular (comedy web series 21)Posted 4 days ago
- 2015 NBA Free Agency Running Diary of InsanityPosted 4 days ago
- Best Push-up Tutorial – Fitness FridayPosted 4 days ago
- Pretty Little Liars: She’s No Angel New Mona Theory RevealPosted 4 days ago
- Dear Mattie Show Podcast: Ep35 Paul EliaPosted 5 days ago
- New York Giants: Evaluating the 2015 NewcomersPosted 5 days ago
Charm School With Miss Roxy- Opening Doors
Today’s lesson is for both the ladies and the gents. Who should open the door, how long they should hold it for, when it is ok not to open the door, what if it’s a revolving door, what if it pushes in instead of pulls out…. these are all important questions that people seem to have a hard time with now-a-days. Have no fear, I’m here to help!
Here are the guidelines for both men and women on door etiquette:
-A true gentleman will always open a door for a lady, and a true lady will always let him. Ladies, let him take the lead on this one. Walk a bit slower so he can get to the door first, and if you do get there first, simply step to the side.
-When there are two doors (an outer door and an inner one) it is customary for the gentleman to open the outside one and the lady to open the inside one. However, if you really want to do it right guys, don’t let her hold it while you walk through. Instead, take the door from her and allow her to go first.
-If the door pushes open, simple go through it first and then hold it open so that she can walk by you. If she arrives at the door first and begins to push the door open, stand on the side where the door hinges are and simply extend your arm over her head to take the door’s weight from her as she passes through.
-If you are on any type of date, you are not required to hold the door open for the 20 people behind your lady. This would leave her standing alone, and your goal is to impress her, not be rude. However, if there is only one or two people coming in behind her, and especially if they are female, hold the door. She won’t mind waiting a few extra seconds for you to be polite.
-In the case of a revolving door, the positions are reversed. The gentleman should enter first to get the door going, making it easier for the lady to walk through.
These rules are not about who’s “in charge” or what sex is stronger, they are about being polite and keeping etiquette and chivalry alive in todays culture. So guys, open the door. Ladies, let him open the door. It’s a small and simple thing that makes the world a nicer place.
Be sure to visit www.roxy-tart.com for more!